Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pet Therapy

In the hospital we had Pet Therapy twice during my 5-day stay. I don't really care for pets of any kind so I did not attend. However, the second time they came, I attended.

The dog had on a hoodie. It's owner also brought some other pieces from the dog's wardrobe to show us: a lace dress, a dress with a bow on it; there were lots of pink clothes. The dog owner also had a photo album of the dog in her various clothes. I feel like the dog has more clothes than I do. She is very fashionable! She even had a manicure and pedicure (with dog safe nail polish, of course).

The dog also sings! If the owner asks the dog to sing, she'll start barking in either a low or high register.

The dog is a volunteer with St. Hubert's Paws for People program.She is 9 years old. In order to be a pet therapy dog, the dog has to pass a series of tests: have to meet another dog and not be scared or vicious, people bang on pots and pans and the dog can't be bothered, they come in contact with various hospital equipment (wheelchair, IV pole, walker), and they have to follow commands (sit, stay down).

The dog's owner was very charismatic. I liked her. I'm glad I went to pet therapy. She became a volunteer to honor her dying mother's memory.

This is not a picture of the pet therapy dog (remember there are no phones allowed on the unit). This is a stock image from Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment