My current schedule is kicking my butt. I'm teaching middle school English full-time, 7:20am to 4:45pm. I'm at a charter school so the hours are extended. Plus, I'm in graduate school part time for my MSW (Master's in Social Work). And on top of both I have insomnia; I wake frequently during the night and I can't nap during the day. Surprisingly I'm alert during the day. But around 5pm I get tired. Which is no good for doing grad school homework or lesson planning for work.
After updating my friend on my current life, she asked what self-care I was engaging in. My heart melted at this question. I live for self-care. And I've written about it multiple times: Who Cares for the Caregiver, Self-Care as Revolutionary Action, How to Rebuild Your Life After a Mental Illness Hospital Stay, and How I Manage My Bipolar Disorder.
Right now, for self-care, I am:
- drinking 40 to 60 ounces of water a day
- exercising three times per week
- receiving an acupuncture treatment every three weeks
- taking my psychiatric medicine as prescribed
- keeping up with appointments with my therapist and psychiatrist
- spending quality time with my boyfriend
- getting my hair done once per week
- blogging again
- and I'm staying abreast of grading assignments at work
I also love getting massages. I'm hoping to book an appointment within the next few weeks. And I'm hoping to hang out with friends soon; I've been slacking lately. But I have to remember to schedule in social time.
So what are you doing for self-care? What restores you? What refuels your tank? Do more of that.