Tuesday, June 10, 2014

My Shero


My mother is my best friend. The greatest love of my life. She has stood by me through it all. I was not good to her in 2007 when I had my first episode. I was irritable and short-tempered. And very psychotic. I feel awful for how I treated her. And when I tried to apologize this week her response was, "but you were sick." How gracious of her!



My mom is the oldest of her siblings and is very much like Terry from Soul Food in that she bank rolls everybody and their mother. She is too nice and gets taken advantage of. I don't like it. I wish she could hold onto her niceness but firm up and learn to say "no" to our mooching family members.

My mom is a clinical data manager for a giant pharmaceutical company. She has been in the healthcare field for about 20 years. My mom attended Montclair State University for nursing, but did not graduate because she had already had two children and a third would be on the way in a few more years. I like to tell people that I was her prom date :)



I respect my mother so much. She was a teenage parent but did not let that deter her from crafting a full and successful life. Despite not having a college degree, she still managed to land in a career not a job. She makes six-figures (which came in handy when she bailed me out of my $10,000 manic shopping spree hole). She bought a house as a single person. She is very religious and is on the finance committee at her church. She also is a liturgical dancer. Her love for the Lord is inspiring. My friends also admire and love my mother.


She put me through Duke University. Cutting off the cable and the phone to pay my tuition. I can never repay her for that.

We both love to shop. And when we buy clothes, we put on fashion shows for each other.



I am my mom's clone. I have diagnosed her with bipolar disorder. I am just like her. Except a million times worse. She has built a life that keeps her sane and happy and fulfilled so she has no need for medicine. Whereas I will be on medicine for the rest of my life.


2 comments: