Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Signs to Look Out For

In grad school, I told my friends and family that I hadn't been sleeping. I wore sunglasses in my classes. I was talking a mile a minute. I was shopping like crazy.

When I was depressed, I withdrew from my life, stopped talking to family and friends, lost weight, didn't sleep or eat, didn't shower or get my hair done.

Be on the lookout for sudden changes in behavior or mood. And say something if you notice something. Tell their spouse, their parents, your other friends. The sooner you intervene, the sooner the person you're worried about can get help.

And don't insensitively say, "Get over it." If it were cancer, instead of a mental illness, no one would dare utter such words. Be patient with them, too. They are not at their best. Be a good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment