Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Rutgers Grad School of Social Work Personal Statement



I am applying to the Rutgers School of Social Work because I know the value and caliber of a Rutgers education. My cousin received her M.S.W. from the School of Social Work in 2010 and has spoken highly of the program. And I received my Ed.M. from the Rutgers Graduate School of Education in 2009. When I was an undergraduate considering applying to graduate school I considered doing a dual degree in education and social work. But then I decided not to. I now regret that decision. So here I am in 2014 applying for admission into your Fall 2015 cohort.

I have always been interested in the intersection of education and social work. I used to want to be a non-profit coordinator that offered enrichment experiences to underserved and underprivileged populations. I also always wanted to be a teacher. I grew up in Newark and was a gifted and talented student in elementary and middle schools. And an honors and Advanced Placement student in high school. At Duke University, I double-majored in African American Studies and Political Science with a minor in English. I loved attending school; I still love learning. For the past seven years I have been an educator. I was an instructional assistant and substitute teacher in a Newark charter school for two years. And for the last five years I have been teaching high school English at an independent, all-girls' K-12 school. I love my job, my students, and literature. But after 7 years in education I am ready to transition into working in the social work field.

In 2007, during my last year of graduate school I was hospitalized with an acute manic episode. Shortly thereafter I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Graduate school was derailed as I was forced to withdraw from school only a month and a half from graduation. Undetered, I finished my degree two years later despite battling depression. I feel that my own personal experiences with mental health will make me a more compassionate, caring, and effective clinician. My hospitalizations have taught me a great deal about myself. I am resilient, creative, and innovative. I have not let my diagnosis steer me off the course I have set for my life. My "detours" have only made me stronger. I have started a blog to document my experiences; it is called Manic Monique's Meanderings: My Journey to Wellness. Writing can be very therepeutic. I've already had two former classmates contact me to tell me that they too suffer from bipolar disorder; they thanked me for sharing my story.

My strengths are my intelligence, my organizational and time management skills, and my concern for others. I have been an academic advisor, a club advisor, a teacher, and a facilitator while at my current job. I am also interested in matters concerning social justice and diversity, as I advise the student clubs Black Cultural Association and Diversity Council. My students have consistently scored well on the Advanced Placement exams, evidence of my strong teaching of reading and writing. I have great rapport with both my students and colleagues. The countless thank you notes and gifts I receive from my students lets me know just what my impact has been. I believe having been a teacher will make me a better clinician. I have honed my classroom management. Further, as a teacher I redirect tangential conversations, ask thoughtful follow up questions, and craft meaningful lessons and activities. As far as weaknesses, I think I can care too much at times. I feel rather deeply (I think it has to do with my mood disorder). I actually consider this a gift and a curse. It's a gift because compassion is a necessary trait to better the world. However, it can be a curse because it can be debilitating when I think about how vast and deep the problems go. Problems such as poverty, felon disenfranchisement, ineffective schools, poor life chances, lack of quality healthcare and the list goes on ad nauseum.

Inspired by my own three hospitalizations, I want to become a clinician. I've had great therapists and psychiatrists, my own personal providers that I've been consistently with for the last seven years as well as the ones I've met at the hospital and Intensive Outpatient Therapy. I want to help the mentally unwell get their lives back on track. An illness can derail one's plans. But with the right support the derailment doesn't have to be permanent.

14 comments:

  1. I'm very excited you're going back to school. Don't forget that's where you met me��

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we last spoke in October you mentioned that you wanted to get into social work and I'm so excited for you to make this a reality! You made such an impact on my experience in high school; you taught me how to write polished essays and to enjoy reading, something that I quite honestly never thought would happen for me (Writing was something I dreaded throughout my first 7 years at KP, and got consistent C+/B-'s in until your class). Above all, however, you taught me how to better a community that I didn't always feel entirely a part of; to become accepting of others, to ask questions, to be intolerant of injustices. Even though I know KP will miss you so much, I can't wait to hear about the impact you will make on others' lives. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much Gabby! You are one of my favorite students. You must already know that :) You are going to make an incredible impact on the world. And I can say "I knew you when..."

      Delete
  3. Hi Ms. Reddick! It is so heart warming and inspiring to see you so resilient, passionate, and driven despite what you have been through. My mom is just finishing up her masters at Rutgers School of Social Work and has loved her experience. I'm sure you will love yours too! Wishing you luck and success. <3, Sydney Giordano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sydney, thank you for reading! I didn't know your mom was in school. Glad to hear she loved the program. I'm looking forward to being back in school. I love being a student! Keep reading and have a great summer.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this great and inspirational great personal statements with us and I just want to say here that the changes you have made in it are good and will prove a great deal of benefit. I hope this makes it more useful and comprehensive and inspirational for many others

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring! Did you get in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I haven't been informed yet of my status. But I have been accepted to NYU and Fordham's schools of social work! Rutgers is still my first choice. Check back - I'll be writing a post about my grad school plans once it's finalized where I'll be attending.

      Delete
  6. Its very great and helpful blog and i find here my problem solution , i am research in "graduate school personal statement " and i fond the relevant information for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are considering entering medical school, you are undoubtedly facing an expensive and time-consuming time ahead of you. Not only is the actual act of entering and studying for medical school intense, but so is the preparation of it. See more statement of purpose for grad school

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right about the costs of attending medical school. But I'm in graduate school for social work. Expensive. But not as expensive as medical school.

      Delete
  8. "My strengths are my intelligence, my organizational and time management skills, and my concern for others." Really liked this part. I think an applicant should focus as much as possible on their strengths and don't talk too much about their weaknesses. I'm working on my statement of purpose and your post as well as this social work statement of purpose were really helpful. Thank you for helping out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A in poor health written fragment of writing can have a foul flavor vis--vis the order of your benefit or overseer and upshot in loss of marks. Too many mistakes can fabricate your fragment of writing see too weak. For more masters in mental health counseling personal statement sample good site

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are going to apply to the educational program related to the social life you will have to find the best msw personal statement example that will help you to write your own papers. If you will use this sample you will get the opportunity to create the strong paper that will be written according to the requiremetns and writing standards. So all you need to do is to get this sample or hire the expert services that will provide you with the best writers who are always online and ready to help you at any moment.

    ReplyDelete