Monday, June 30, 2014

I'm Here

A few years ago I read Alice Walker's The Color Purple. I thought it was a good book. And a few years later I saw it on Broadway. I really liked the soundtrack. There's one song, "I'm Here," that particularly spoke to me. It is about courage, and strength, and resiliency, and self-love. I love it. I sometimes think of it as my anthem. Here it is.


I got my children
I can't hold them now
They may not be here
But they still mine
I hope they know I still love them
Got my house
It still keep the cold out
Got my chair when my body can't hold out
Got my hands doing good like they supposed to
Showing my heart to the folks that I'm close to
I got my eyes though they don't see as far now
They see more about how things really are now
I'm gonna take a deep breath
I'm gonna hold my head up
I'm gonna put my shoulders back
And look you straight in the eye
I'm gonna flirt with somebody when they walk by
I'm gonna sing up, sing up
I believe I have inside of me everything that I need to live a bountiful life
With all the love alive in me
I'll stand as tall as the tallest tree
Yes, I'm thankful for each day that I'm given
Both the easy and hard one's I'm living
But most of all I'm thankful for loving who I really am
I'm beautiful
Yes, I'm beautiful
And I'm here

2 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you how many times I've watched this EXACT performance online. It literally is awesome. So moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love, love, love this song! I have the original Broadway soundtrack version on my iPod.

      Delete