Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Making Time for Self-Care

Tonight I checked in with a friend who recently tried to commit suicide. Thankfully, she's doing much better and is in recovery. She then asked how I was doing. I told her balancing teaching and grad school is tough.

My current schedule is kicking my butt. I'm teaching middle school English full-time, 7:20am to 4:45pm. I'm at a charter school so the hours are extended. Plus, I'm in graduate school part time for my MSW (Master's in Social Work). And on top of both I have insomnia; I wake frequently during the night and I can't nap during the day. Surprisingly I'm alert during the day. But around 5pm I get tired. Which is no good for doing grad school homework or lesson planning for work.

After updating my friend on my current life, she asked what self-care I was engaging in. My heart melted at this question. I live for self-care. And I've written about it multiple times: Who Cares for the Caregiver, Self-Care as Revolutionary Action, How to Rebuild Your Life After a Mental Illness Hospital Stay, and How I Manage My Bipolar Disorder.

Right now, for self-care, I am:

  • drinking 40 to 60 ounces of water a day
  • exercising three times per week
  • receiving an acupuncture treatment every three weeks
  • taking my psychiatric medicine as prescribed
  • keeping up with appointments with my therapist and psychiatrist
  • spending quality time with my boyfriend
  • getting my hair done once per week
  • blogging again
  • and I'm staying abreast of grading assignments at work
I also love getting massages. I'm hoping to book an appointment within the next few weeks. And I'm hoping to hang out with friends soon; I've been slacking lately. But I have to remember to schedule in social time.

So what are you doing for self-care? What restores you? What refuels your tank? Do more of that.

7 comments:

  1. This was a great post because I've been trying to work on that. I too have bipolar disorder, and I've been trying to practice self-care. I like your ideas on self-care and the links were extremely helpful.
    BTW, I LOVE your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! Yes, self-care is extremely important. What do you like to do? Aww, you just made my day by saying you love my blog :) Definitely keep reading, please.

      Delete
    2. For my self-care, I've decided to
      1) Exercise at least 2-3x per week
      2) Meditate for 15 min/day (this can be in the morning or afternoon after work)
      3) Regular Therapy
      4) Take meds regularly
      I also love to write. I recently started up my own blog because I was so inspired by your story and by your courage. Thanks so much for keeping up your wonderful blog!

      Delete
    3. For my self-care, I've decided to
      1) Exercise at least 2-3x per week
      2) Meditate for 15 min/day (this can be in the morning or afternoon after work)
      3) Regular Therapy
      4) Take meds regularly
      I also love to write. I recently started up my own blog because I was so inspired by your story and by your courage. Thanks so much for keeping up your wonderful blog!

      Delete
    4. Thanks for responding! I wasn't sure if you'd be notified that I replied. I fell off with my exercising. Haven't been in two weeks :( If you wouldn't mind, can you share your blog? I'd love to read it. And I'm honored to have been the inspiration behind you starting one.

      Delete
    5. Hopefully, you'll get back into it. I only went one day this week after not going in a loooong time. It's hard sometimes to get to the gym.
      Sure! Here's the link: https://blackbipolarwoman.wordpress.com.
      Thanks so much! I went a little overboard on posting because I was just so excited about it. It's been cathartic, writing about my own experience and keeping track of how I'm feeling. I've been trying to manage better, and I've been searching online for more resources. I connected with The Bipolar Network and I'm reading blogs on there too. I put the button on my blog too. Again, thank you for your blog. You are fabulous!

      Delete
  2. That’s truly a nice post. I also had insomnia but after getting acupuncture therapy I can sleep calmly and of course full night!! I think you should also visit the acupuncture-mississauga clinic for your treatment.

    ReplyDelete