Sunday, November 23, 2014

Unlikely Sign of Depression

I was depressed last year from June/July 2013 until May 2014. The insomnia was perhaps the worst part. I couldn't fall asleep. When I did fall asleep, I couldn't stay asleep as I woke frequently throughout the night. And on top of that, I woke up early. Like 3am or 4am early. The other big problem was the empty feeling. I didn't feel sad. In fact, I didn't feel anything. I was really worried that I'd feel empty forever. I thought my newfound numbness was my new default emotion.

But beyond the insomnia and the empty feeling, I also noticed a change in my handwriting. I recently found this article, "Are You Depressed?", on a handwriting website. Just as you can tell a person's mood from their behavior (are they smiling? are they moping around? are they irritable?), handwriting also signals a person's mood.

When grading my students' essays last year, I could barely read the feedback I'd written on their papers. At the time, I noticed the change, but I did not attribute it to my depression. I tried to compensate. I started writing slower so I could concentrate more on writing out each word. I don't recall if this actually worked or not. But no student ever came to me to tell me that they couldn't make out my writing.

My depression ended in June 2014. Since then my handwriting has gone back to normal. I thought the above article was an interesting read. I would not have made the connection between my mood and my handwriting. It's interesting how our moods control so much of our thoughts and behaviors.



3 comments:

  1. Hi, Monique----

    I'm a freelancer working on a piece for BP magazine about managing the depressive side of BP and think you would be a great source for it. Would you be willing to do a phone or email interview with me in the next few days for the story? I'd need for you to sign a release and can use your first name/city/state for the article--please let me know ASAP as I'm on deadline. Thank you! :)
    Kelly James-Enger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, Sure, I'd love to be interviewed for BP Magazine! Do you have an email address I can contact you at? Or you can contact me via an inbox message on Twitter. My username is Krystallised26.

      Delete
  2. My email is kelly@becomebodywise.com. Tweeting you now. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete