Sunday, August 17, 2014

Instagram Memes

I am obsessed with Instagram. I mean, really obsessed. I love taking #ootd (outfit of the day) pictures. I love taking pictures of my food. I love making photo collages. I am no photographer, by any means. But I like to think of my Instagram as another creative bipolar outlet, like my writing.

Lately, I've posted a number of memes that have really resonated with me. Here are a few.

The following one speaks to my soul. I have worked my butt off for everything I have. I have degrees from Duke and Rutgers. I'm hoping to add a second masters to the list in a few years; I'll be in graduate school in a year. I've been manic three times, depressed three times, and hospitalized three times. It is a process to stay stable. I have made some bad decisions along the way. I have paid the cost for them. But I have (painfully) grown into the 30-year old that I am. And I love her, so dearly.



This is how I feel sometimes (in the picture below). I have been having such a great summer. But I fear that I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Last year, I became depressed after the mania ended. I fear that the same thing will happen again. Although I think I'm better protected this time around; I'm on an anti-depressant.


This is a pet peeve of mine (see image below). I hate when people use mental disorders as put downs or as adjectives. Find a better, less offensive word. I blame the Katy Perry song for this.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! This really spoke to me. I feel the same way about everything you posted. And I never took a second to actually think about that Katy Perry song. You are correct. Thanks so much for posting this! I am following you now on Instagram:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monique,

    I stumbled upon your blog via an e-mail I got one day, and now I keep this page open on my cell phone :) thank you for your bravery in sharing your experiences with Bipolar Disorder. I was diagnosed in my early 20s and it's been quite the battle since. I'm not currently on medication and I'm very scared about falling into another episode, as it tends to happen at very high stress points of my life, and I just started a new job...one of many I've had due to my inability to keep a job for longer than a year. I often think about suicide, but I'm too much of a coward. Nonetheless, thank you for sharing. I look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Good luck with your recovery. What do you do to replace the medicine? I'm too scared to stop taking medicine. I don't function well when I'm manic. Good luck with your new job!

      Delete
  3. I know it has been a while since you posted this blog but you cannot imagine how well i can relate to everything you have just said. I just couldnt not comment.
    I hope you are doing great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that the post resonated with you. And thanks for reading and leaving a comment to let me know. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm in a good place. I hope you are too :)

      Delete