Friday, July 11, 2014

I'm Not A Doctor, Nor Do I Play One on TV

Last week the nurse told me that during the weekly meeting the providers have to discuss the patients I was brought up. Some of the therapists felt that I was trying to pawn myself off as a professional via my blog. She told me that she said that she didn't think that was what I was doing. She spoke on my behalf and I am grateful. She said that I am a consumer sharing my personal experience. I am glad that she defended me.

To say that I was upset and frustrated by these comments would be an understatement.

I have never misrepresented myself! The only degrees I have are in Political Science, African American Studies, English and Education.

But I do feel that I am more qualified than most psychiatrists and therapists.

  • I have lived intimately with bipolar disorder for seven years. 
  • I am an expert in me and how I respond and act when both depressed and manic. 
  • I know how I respond to medicine. 
  • I know about the side effects for the medicines I've had to take. 
  • I can list the symptoms of the disorder with my eyes closed. 
  • I didn't need to study the disorder in a book or take a class to learn about it. By the luck of the draw, I was born bipolar.

One of the patients said it sounded as if the therapists were territorial. I agree.

And for this exact reason, I will be going back to graduate school for Social Work. The credentials give you credibility and validity.

I will be both a consumer and a provider.

2 comments:

  1. Can you hear my standing Ovation?! I have just saved, bookmarked, taken a picture of every word you have written today starting from the Root, in hopes I don't lose you on the Web . Finally, someone that shares my story, it's like you have been looking through my window for the last 13 years. We almost have the same backgrounds.I have said I would one day write a book to get insensitive family friends coworkers & newly diagnosed patients a book, then as Web grew a forum then a blog. So sick of having 2 justify myself or people blaming any emotion on my bipolar diagnosis. It does not define me.I am human I have natural reactions just like everyone else. As for some Therapist they are threatened by our first hand experience & intelligence taking money out of their pockets.I feel that Bipolar patients are highly intelligent more so than any violent tendencies and I our minds scare them. The only time I have ever seen violent Bipolar patients was on TV & unfortunately they were small kids.Everyone is different & their r different types of Bipolar & mild 2 severe.Ignorance is killing our country not mental illness.They are more likely 2 take their own lives or their Dr's will over prescribe powerful unnecessary drugs & family will treat us like we no longer exist. Please let me know how 2 follow you. Not tech savvy but God answered my Prayers. Le boĆ®te (my name I go by) 'Masterful Minds'☆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following my story! I too hate when my loved ones assume any emotional response is due to my bipolar disorder. I can't stand it. I do think that the bipolar disorder has made me incredibly intelligent. Just look at all the famous actors and artists who were also diagnosed. Yeah I haven't met many violent mentally ill people. To follow my blog, click the links on the right hand side. Either "Follow By Email" or "Subscribe To."

      Delete