Sunday, June 19, 2016

The Law of Averages, Mania, and Spring

I survived Spring 2016!

Every spring for the last three years (2013, 2014, and 2015) I became manic and was hospitalized for a number of days. I was worried that I'd bat four-for-four and also become manic this year. However, that was not the case. And I am so relieved.

Earlier this year my boyfriend mentioned the Law of Averages to me regarding the streak of manias I had been experiencing. He claimed for me that my luck would change, that after three years in a row I was bound to have some reprieve.

Back in February and March, on about two occasions, I felt the twangs of mania: hyperproductivity and insomnia. But luckily nothing came of it.

To stave off the mania, I continue to take my prescription medications; I see my psychiatrist and therapist regularly; I increased the number of acupuncture treatments I receive per month; and I continue to make self-care and sleep priorities.

I know there's no magic bullet to living in recovery, but I like my system. Every component is important, but perhaps the most important two, for me, are sleep and meds.

Additionally, I am glad that I made it through my first year of my graduate school program without a hospitalization. I experienced my first bipolar episodes (one depression and one mania) ten years ago when I attended graduate school for my Master's in Education. I took a leave of absence from the program to focus on my recovery and wellness and would not graduate until two years later. Now, back in graduate school, this time for a Master's in Social Work, I am happy that the first year is down, and without any mental health crises. Just two more years of grad school to go. I'm claiming that I'll be bipolar episode free for the duration.

I know that relapse is part of the disorder. And I've learned to handle both the depression and mania as best can be expected. But I'm hoping the Law of Averages holds true for the next few years.


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting through this spring. Best of luck in your MSW program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kitt! I am thoroughly enjoying the program and can't wait to be a social worker.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on getting through this spring. Best of luck in your MSW program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monique, don't stop blogging. I'm encouraged by your wellness...did you survive summer? Have you seen BPhope.com? I promise you will love it!!!! It changed my life! I blog there also. Love, peace, and hair grease. Candee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candee! I took a quick peek at your blog posts on BPHope.com, I'm looking forward to reading your writing. It's always nice to connect with other bloggers. I wrote an update post because of your comment! Thanks for prodding me to post more. To answer your question, I did survive spring and summer! Woohoo! Love and light to you. <3

      Delete